Utility relief grant scheme

The Utility Relief Grant Scheme and the Non-Mains Utility Relief Grant Scheme provide assistance for domestic customers who are unable to pay their water bills due to a temporary financial crisis.

Assistance may be provided to low-income households suffering a short-term (within last 12 months) financial crisis who are unable to pay for a current water account and who are at risk of restriction of supply of water.

The Utility Relief Grant Scheme is also available to eligible customers who experience difficulties paying for other non-mains sources such as carted water.


You must hold at least one of the following concession cards (cards marked 'dependent' are not eligible):

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • DVA Gold Card

You may also be eligible for assistance if you don't hold a concession card, please contact us for further information.

You need to demonstrate that unexpected hardship has left you seriously short of money so that you cannot pay your utility bills without assistance and risk disconnection or non-supply, and meet one of the following criteria:

  • A significant increase in usage
  • A recent decrease in income, for example, loss of employment
  • High unexpected expenses on essential items
  • The cost of shelter is more than 30% of the household income
  • The cost of utility usage is more than 10% of the household income

Special conditions for non-concession card households apply.

How to apply

Application forms for the Utility Relief Grant Scheme can only be obtained from Central Highlands Water. Your application should provide in detail the circumstances that have led to your inability to pay the outstanding account.

Application forms for the Non-Mains Utility Relief Grant Scheme can be obtained by calling the Department of Human Services Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521 or by contacting us.