Be Smart Choose Tap in Daylesford
Central Highlands Water have partnered with the Hepburn Shire Council to install a brand new Be Smart Choose Tap water fountain at Bourke Square in Daylesford.
Thanks to the Be Smart Choose Tap initiative, residents and tourists can now enjoy tap water instead of buying expensive bottled water when they are out and about.
Central Highlands Water Deputy Chair, Janet Dore said “With the $3 spent on a 1 litre bottle of water, you can refill a 1 litre drink bottle from the tap every day for 2 years.”
With recent research suggesting bottled water sales continue to rise in Australia, plastic waste will continue to be an environmental problem future generations will have to address.
“Almost 50% of plastic bottles end up as land fill or litter. The fountain will also act as an important reminder for residents and tourists that they can Be Smart Choose tap over bottled water to reduce our impact on the environment,” said Ms Dore.
Daylesford Secondary School students also attended the event to speak about their recent award in the Resource Smart Education Awards.
Using data logger technology as part of the Schools Water Efficiency Program (SWEP), the year 7 and 8 students conducted a water audit and discovered a major underground water leak.
By detecting the 1000 litre/hour leak the students have reduced significant water loss for the School.
Did you know?
- Our bodies are 70 percent water, drinking water keeps us hydrated.
- With the $3 spent on a 1 litre bottle of water, you can refill a 1 litre drink bottle from the tap every day for 2 years.
- Drinking water regulates your body temperature and helps improve joint and muscle health.
- Over 90 per cent of the cost of a bottle of water is for the bottle, lid or label.
- More than 50 per cent of plastic bottles end up as landfill or litter.
There are over 1,000 Be Smart Choose Tap drinking fountains across Victoria. To find the locations of a Be smart Choose Tap drinking fountain in your area download the Choose Tap app from the App Store.